The Electric City Food Co-op is organizing to bring a community-owned, one-stop grocery market, featuring local and bulk foods, to the downtown area of Schenectady. We aim to be a flagship store for locally sourced and sustainably produced foods and products. It will be the only full-service natural foods store in Schenectady County.
We are working with local farmers, consultants and business leaders to bring this much-needed permanent market to Schenectady.
We are well rooted in the city, with a board and member-owners representing the city and all of the surrounding towns.
Economic development does not happen on its own. It must be intentional.
Solving the Downtown food desert is a regional priority and our organization is laser-focused on supporting regional economic growth through a commitment to the community. Here are some facts about food co-ops:
- Co-ops support many more local farms and producers
- Multiplier effects (positive community impact) higher than conventional grocers
- Co-ops create jobs, directly and indirectly
- Every dollar goes back to the community and helps it grow
- Co-ops support consumers’ desire to be selective with where their money goes
- Member-owners get a voice
- Our food is not just healthy, it’s healthy and affordable
- Co-ops have a built-in commitment to reduce income inequality
- Co-ops donate more food to local pantries