Creating a solution to address Downtown Schenectady as a Healthy Food Priority Area is a collaborative regional initiative, and we are laser-focused on supporting local and regional economic growth.
Electric City Food Co-op has been working since 2013 to bring a new cooperative market to Downtown Schenectady featuring local, organic, and sustainably produced natural foods. Creating a local food revolution that supports the local and regional economy, farmers, and families requires your support and membership:
Why a Co-Op?
Across the nation and around the world, co-operative food markets are changing how food is getting from farms to tables. These grocery stores are small-scale, owner-operated, democratically run purveyors of locally grown food from small-scale producers.
We are a true community, owned by the same people who live and work here in Downtown Schenectady and the Capital Region. When we open, member-owners will benefit from:
- A like-minded community that cares about local, healthy food
- Expanded social awareness of health and nutritional information and programs
- Opportunities to Share and Absorb Knowledge cooperatively
- Participate in Co-op governance — vote in annual elections, run for the Board of Directors, or join a Committee or Sub-Committee.
- Special discounts from vendors passed down to members
- Patronage refunds based on usage
- Discounts on co-op classes and events
Please support our mission – “to cultivate the health, self-sufficiency, and sustainability of our community”
- Co-ops support many more local farms and producers
- Multiplier effects (positive community impact) higher than conventional grocers
- Co-ops create jobs, directly and indirectly
- Every dollar goes back to the community and helps it grow
- Co-ops support consumers’ desire to be selective with where their money goes
- Member-owners get a voice
- Our food is not just healthy, it’s healthy and affordable
- Co-ops have a built-in commitment to reduce income inequality
- Co-ops donate more food to local pantries