Why join the Electric City Food Co-op today? Our Member Relations Committee and Board are happy to share a top ten list of reasons to get fired up about being (and becoming!) an active Member-Owner with ECFC:
- Open a grocery store in downtown Schenectady in 2023!
- Expand access to fresh, affordable local food to nourish people we care about!
- Promote and support our local farmers, artisans, food producers and vendors!
- Create meaningful employment in downtown Schenectady!
- Reinvest in our community and local economy!
- Care for our local ecosystems/environment!
- Vote for a community-owned grocery store aligned with your needs and aspirations!
- Cultivate our community power!
- Relish Schenectady’s diverse cultures, communities, and culinary traditions!
- Host nutritional education & cultural cooking demonstrations!
The more members we have, the stronger our community will be!
What’s so special about a community-owned, cooperative grocery store? Rather than being owned by a corporation, family, or individual, grocery co-ops are owned and managed by the community members who shop there. When you become a member-owner, you gain the right to weigh in on how the co-op is run, and when the coop thrives financially, you benefit, too.
When we open, Member-Owners will benefit from:
- A diverse community that cares about local, healthy food
- Special discounts from vendors passed down to members
- Patronage refunds based on usage
- Discounts on co-op classes and events
- Participation in Co-op governance — vote in annual elections, run for the Board of Directors, and/or join a Committee or Sub-Committee.